Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer Sunshine


Hello again,

I'm here today with my weekly sample for Frilly and Funkie.  We are kicking off the Frilly week with a new challenge from Sue Carrington.  Sue's challenge theme is Summer Heat and she wants us to create something with warm colors such as red, orange and sunshine yellow.  As an added twist, we need to include a summer bloom on our project.  

I started my card with a sheet of Tim Holtz patterned paper from the Wildflower collection.   I wanted something with a bright yellow, but also vintage and shabby too.  I created a little flower patch by cutting white CS with the Tattered Flowers decorative strip die and staining them with Mustard Seed distress stain.  While they were wet, I crumpled them and dried them crumpled with my heat tool.  Once unfurled, they were edged with Vintage Photo DI.  I scrounged around in my stash and came up with three different small bronze flowers that I used for the centers.  The cheese cloth was spritzed with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist, but I had so much Mustard Seed stain on my fingers that it took on a greenish-yellow cast.  I actually really like the way it came out - a happy accident.  

The Writing Desk die was used to cut the feather out of white CS and then was stenciled using the Tim Holtz Latticework stencil with Mustard Seed and edged with Vintage Photo.  A piece of white CS was used to mat the top layer.  It was also stenciled with the Latticework stencil and Mustard Seed, then edged with a bit of Frayed Burlap.  I broke out a Hash Tags stamp set for to have for myself.  I didn't think I would really like it at first, but I've been seeing it used and decided that I really do like the set.  

And there you have it.  A fairly quick and easy card - only took me about two hours.  Using the patterned paper made the whole thing come together pretty quickly.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you will also stop over at Frilly and Funkie and maybe even visit our designers' blogs and leave them some love!



The products below were used to make this card and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Tim Holtz/Ranger and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.

20 comments:

Redanne said...

Your card is bright, cheery and very beautiful Linda, I love the addition of the feather. I felt much the same as you about the hashtags but the single words are so useful! Hugs, Anne x

Viv said...

Lovely summer themed card Linda! x

Maryanne said...

This is so bright and cheery, Linda! It makes me smile to see it. I love the yellow flowers and the feather stenciled with the trellis.
Happy fourth!

Jenny Marples said...

Bright, fresh, elegant! I love that you've matched up your floral bouquet with the flowers on the paper. A great make Linda. Jenny x

Hettie said...

This is wonderful Linda. The lovely yellow is so cheerful. There isn't enough yellow around.
Thanks for brightening my lunch break.
Hugs
xx

Nancy Dynes said...

Linda, you have once again created a gorgeous work of art! It is as though you've found a way to capture happiness and sunshine!! Whoever receives this beauty will treasure it for a lifetime.
Hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty! I love all the yellow.

Cec said...

This is so summery and so cheerful. I love the big feather and the lovely yellow flowers and their funkie metal centres.
Hugs!
Cec

Words and Pictures said...

That's lovely, Linda - so full of sunshine! I love the greenish gold shimmer on the cheesecloth and the gorgeous papers in the background - perfect combination of bold yellow and subtle vintage neutrals. Love it!
Alison xx

Marci said...

Beautiful! It really does look like sunshine.

Pam said...

Beautiful card! Love every element, especially the colors.

Cathy L. Calamas said...

This is stunning, absolutely love the color scheme. Saw it over at Frilly and Funky

Rebecca Deeprose said...

What a great take on this challenge! Love the mustard seed color and I want to replicate the effect of your inky fingers and heirloom gold on the cheesecloth! Happy 4th Linda, Hugs, Rebecca

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your Happy, sunshiny blooms, Linda!! I'm happier from just looking at your card :) Plus, yellow is my fav color, so I really like your card ;) XOXO-Shari

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE the yellow on the paper! The butterfly is wonderful too! Gorgeous and happy!

Almo said...

What a beautiful card Linda, I feel like I have just stepped out into the garden on a summers day looking at it. Love the feather, flowers and butterfly, actually I just love it. Mo x

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant card Linda, fabulous colour, so bright and cheery and I just love how it picks up the yellow in the flower of the paper! The stenciled feather looks brilliant too!

Donna Nuce said...

OMG this card just amazed me when I saw it! So gorgeous and full of vintage grunge! Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Julia Aston said...

This card is like sunshine Linda! the yellow just glows off the page! Pretty papers and die cuts on this!

Mary Elizabeth said...

I've been looking through your blog and just had to stop here. Oh ... wow!! This card just warms me like summer sunshine. Love the color and the feather (great treatment) and the butterfly. Stunning make! -- Mary Elizabeth

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com